Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Day 5 : Sailing - Kevin Sails Into Trouble In Opening Race

BEIJING, Aug 12 (Bernama) -- Sailor Kevin Lim got off to a foul start when he was disqualified from the opening race for going over the starting line when the laser event got underway in Qingdao today. He came back in the second race to finish 24th with 2.58 penalty points.

But all is not lost for the 32-year-old, the sole Malaysian athlete in sailing, as competitors can discard one result from the 10 races.

"Presumably this is the race I will have to discard but this puts me in a difficult position because I will have to be quite cautious for the rest of the week," he said when contacted in the port city.

"I am quite upset. I thought I was behind the line. It left me very cautious in the second race," said Lim who is aiming for a top-0 finish in his fourth Olympics in the field of 43.

Only two sailors cleared the course without trouble, Argentina's Julio Alsogaray who was ahead after the first race and Frenchman Jean Baptiste Bernaz who was first in the second.

Australia-based Lim said sailing conditions would be variable tomorrow because winds were forecast from the north instead of usually from the southeast.

-- BERNAMA

No comments: