Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Day 5 - Badminton - Chong Wei, Sony Kuncoro In Badminton Quarterfinal Clash

BEIJING, Aug 12 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's best Olympic medal prospect, Lee Chong Wei, and Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro have confirmed a quarterfinal clash in the Olympics badminton men's singles on Thursday.

Chong Wei, the second seed here behind China's reigning world champion Lin Dan, as expected, booked himself into the last eight with an effortless 21-5, 21-7 win over Lithuania's Kestutis Navickas in the third round this morning.

Sony, the only Indonesian left in the tussle after defending champion Taufik Hidayat's ouster yesterday, made his way in with a 21-13, 21-18 win over Vladyslav Druzchenko of Ukraine.

Sony made last year's world championship a nightmare for Chong Wei by beating the Malaysian in the second round in Kuala Lumpur. But Chong Wei avenged himself in the ensuing Denmark Open and China Open.

"Past records won't count now. Sony is a very tough attacking player. I know his game well but this may change for the Olympics here, so I have to make sure I am in the best condition to face him," said Chong Wei.

The 26-year-old Chong Wei is getting used to playing in the centre court and the draft inside the Beijing University of Technology gymnasium.

"I have played my two matches (so far) on the same court and I am getting used to the draft, and playing more consistently and making less mistakes," he said.

Sony said Taufik's loss will pressure him to salvage Indonesia's pride in winning the gold medal first won by Allan Budi Kusuma in Barcelona in 1992 and Taufik in Athens four years ago.

"I don't think of anything else except my own game. Chong Wei is seen to be in good form here but I am confident, I have my own strength," the Indonesian said.

The winner of the tie will head for the semifinal in the bottom half of the draw, either against China's third seed Bao Chunlai or the unranked but dangerous South Korean challenger, Lee Hyunil.

No comments: